A monthly dining club open to the Lexington community. Each individual within the club will have an opportunity to prepare and host a main course meal once per 6 months. Cuisine must be varied and consist of a variety of global themes which will be pre-selected at the start of each 6 month “world tour”. Groups will meet once per month. No dining Group will ever be the same, you will meet and eat with different people each month until you have completed your 6 month “world tour”.
The purpose of the club is to experiment and explore gourmet cooking and most importantly to expand horizons by meeting new people, sharing ideas and conversation at a place we often forget about- your home.
There will be a small membership fee (TBD) used only to cover any administrative expenses (website, etc.) and all other proceeds will be donated to local charities (TBD). However, volunteers are very much needed to help coordinate, promote and bring ideas to this venture.
It is recommended that dinner guests (those not hosting) in each Group bring a bottle of wine; appetizer; or desert related to the theme of the main course. The expected cost per evening for those preparing a meal should be kept within $50-$100 but there is no official minimum or maximum; this will be left to the featured culinary artist’s discretion.
- If applicable, leftovers from each dinner will be donated to a local charity/soup kitchen to be designated at the discretion of the Group.
- There may be standby members in the club: Standby members are those who are not able to commit the time to meeting monthly but would be interested in being part of the club. They will be activated when any individual is unable to attend or cook due to an unforeseen circumstance so as to not disturb the flow of food! Standby members must pay membership fee and there is no-guarantee you will have the opportunity to attend.
- Groups do not have to eat on the same date but cuisine themes should be consistent among groups each month.
- A spreadsheet has been developed in order to randomly organize group members in advance. Names will be drawn at the onset of each 6 month world tour at the ice-breaker socials.
- The club may select to have a full outing with all club members at a restaurant of their choice once or twice per year with a date (s) to be selected in advance.
- New group members may join twice per year.
- There will be 6 club members per group. 1 host and 5 guests.
- Groups decide amongst themselves on dates to host the meal All Group members must attend.
- Small membership fee TBD (proceeds to local nonprofit agencies)
- Facebook & Blog Sites have been setup. FB: Food Amongst Friends; WP: foodamongstfriends.wordpress.com
- Cuisine Themes will vary but may consist of: Middle East, Japanese, Chinese, Mediterranean, Mexican, Spanish, French, Nordic, Pacific, Hawaiian, American (Southern), American (Tex-Mex), American (California), Italian (Veneto), Italian (Tuscany), Italian (Sicily), Caribbean